TO SEE IN CHIANGRAI
||The King Mengrai the Great Memorial
It is located in the town on the intersection leading to Mae
Chan. Originally, King Mengrai was the ruler of Nakhon Hiran
Ngoen Yang (an ancient town on the bank of the
|Mae Khong around Chiang Saen) before
Chiang Rai was established as the administrative centre in 1262.
He consolidated his power by merging the different city in the
North and founded the Lanna Thai Kingdom in 1296 with Chiang
Mai as the capital.
||Phu Chi Fa
Phu Chi Fa is approximately 25 kilometers to the south of Doi
Pha Tang in Thoeng District. The cool climate produces colorful
flowering shrubs and the large meadow
|on the top provides breathtaking
views of Laos. In addition, spectacular scenery can be seen
from the sheer cliff of Phu Chi Fa, especially the sea of mist
at sunrise. Visitors can stay overnight at Ban Rom Fa Thong
and Ban Rom Fa Thai.
||Doi Pha Tang
Doi Pha Tang, about 160 kilometres from the provincial town,
is a viewing point on top of a high cliff over the Thai-Laotian
border affording a delightful scene for the river
|and the sea of mist throughout the
year. During December-January, blooming Sakuras provide a picturesque
scenery. It is home to the Chinese Haw, the Hmong and Yao minorities.
The Haws are the remnants of the 93rd Chinese Division who moved
in to settle on Doi Pha Tang. There are a lots of bungalows
& tents serve tourists.
||Wat Rong Khun
Wat Rong Khun is also known as the White Temple. Whereas most
temples visited by tourists have a history going back many centuries,
|place of worship was built only recently.
It is the realization of a dream for Thailands noted artist,
Mr Chalermchai Kositpipat, who designed and is supervising the
construction of this beautiful white temple and its many statues
of figures based on religious beliefs. The construction started
in 1998 and is expected to be completed in 2008. In addition,
there is a gallery nearby exhibiting his paintings. To get there
from the city of Chiang Rai, drive north along Asia Highway.
||Wat Phra Kaeo
Wat Phra Kaeo, which is located on Trairat Road on the northwest
side of town, is the best known of the northern temples. It
once housed the Emerald Buddha, Thailands
|most important Buddha statue which
was discovered in 1444. The statue had been moved by various
state rulers to be placed in their capitals including Lampang,
Chiang Rai and Vientiane before finally being enshrined in Bangkok's
royal Wat Phra Kaeo. There is now a green jade replica of the
image on display. The temple also houses a 700-year bronze statue
of Phra Chao Lan Thong, which is housed in the Chiang Saen style
||Doi Mae Salong
Doi Mae Salong is the site of Santi Khiri village, a community
settled by the former Chinese 93rd Division who moved from Myanmar
to reside on Thai territory in
|1961. The village became well known
for its enchanting scenery and tranquil atmosphere. Today it
is a major tourist attraction with its small-town ambience,
delicious native Chinese dishes, small hotels and guesthouses
catering to visitors and tea, coffee and fruit tree plantations.
The scenery is especially picturesque in December and January
when sakuras are in full bloom. Scattered with many hill tribe
villages, Doi Mae Salong is ideal for trekking.
To reach Doi Mae Salong, take the Chiang Rai-Mae Chan route
for 29 kilometers, then turn left and proceed for another
41 kilometers (passing a hot spring). The return trip can
be taken on routes nos. 1234 and 1130 which wind through Yao
and Akha hill tribe villages. From Doi Mae Salong a road leads
to Tha Thon, the starting point for the Kok River cruise,
a distance of 45 kilometers. There are hotels and guesthouses
to accommodate tourists and a paved road leading to the village.
||The Golden Triangle
A trip to Chiang Rai province would not be complete without
seeing the notorious Golden Triangle first hand! This famed
border location where Thailand, Laos and
|Myanmar meet on the Mekong River
was once supposed to be the center of all the poppy cultivation
Travel approximately 9 kilometers north of old town Chiang
Saen, along the road parallel to the Mekong River to the area
where the borders of Thailand, Myammar and Laos converge.
This area where the Mekong River meets the Ruak River is locally
referred to as "Sop Ruak". Within this area are
remains of many ancient places and structures attesting to
the fact that the area had been settled by people in the past.
It is also the area where various legends concerning the Lanna
Boats can be hired in order to view the upstream scenery
of the Golden Triangle and to travel downstream to Chiang
Khong. The trip to the Golden Triangle and Chiang Khong would
take approximately 40 minutes and 1 hour respectively, depending
on river currents and water levels.
The Kok River is one of the most scenic attractions in Chiang
Rai. It runs from Thathon in northern Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai
City and then flows on to meet the
|Maekhong River at Chiang Khong. From Baan Thathon
boats, rafts and treks leave daily venturing into the surrounding
mountains where the jungle dips into the river's cool waters.
A long-tailed boat can be hired to ferry visitors up and down
the river. Stops can be made at Akha or Iko, Lisu and Karen
hill tribe villages. Alternatively stops can be made at the
Buddha cave, a temple within a cavern; an elephant camp, for
trekking; a hot spring; and a riverside Lahu village. Trips
range from 300 bahts to 700 bahts ($7-$16), depending on the
number of stops made. The ferry pier is beyond the bridge across
from the Dusit Island Resort.
Mae Sai which is about 62 kilometers from the provincial seat
on Highway No. 110 is Thailand's northern-most district. Mae
Sai borders on Myanmar's Tha Khi Lek
|marked by the Mae Sai River with a bridge spanning
both sides. Foreign visitors are allowed to cross over to Tha
Khi Lek market by presenting their passports and paying a fee
at the Mae Sai immigration checkpoint. In addition, there are
tour services to Chiang Tung in Myanmar, which is approximately
160 kilometers north by road.
Doi Tung is located in Mae Fa Luang District and can be reached
by taking Highway No.110 for about 48 kilometers and turning
left onto Highway No. 1149, an asphalt road
| leading directly to Doi Tung. The route winds
through beautiful scenery with many interesting sites including
the Doi Tung Palace (Pra Tamnak Doi tung), the Mae Fa Luang
Garden and Akha and Muser tribal villages. IN addition to scenic
lookouts, the most notable attraction is the Phra That Doi Tung
Holy Relic, an old religious site atop the mountain.
Also located on Doi Tung Mountain is a beautiful royal residence
known as Phra Tamnak Doi Tung. The royal villa, situated on
the slopes of the adjacent Pa Kluay Reservoir, was to serve
as a royal winter retreat for the Princess Mother, who passed
away in 1995 and was originally built on the theory that the
local hill tribes would be honored by the royal presence and
thereby cease their opium cultivation.
The main attraction for visitors to Phra Tamnak Doi Tung
is 'Suan Mae Fa Luang', the beautiful landscaped gardens filled
with hundreds of different kinds of plants and flowers, named
in honor of the Princess Mother and the Doi Tung Development
Project established by the late Princess Mother in 1987.
||Rong Suea Ten was established in October
27th,2005 and successfully complete in January 22nd,2016 (The
temple is already 1 year now.) It is on the area of 6 acres.
Blue color represents the Dharma, the Lord Buddha virtue code
of moral that spread all over the world
|becomes the doctrine of logically naturalistic
as the bright blue sky. This temple displays the contemporary
Buddhist art that implied the Lord Buddha ‘s doctrine. The concept
led the Buddhist to turn back and study the Dhrama in order
to apply for their daily life as well as for whom demanded to
study this for withdrawal from the round of existences that
called ” The 4 Noble Truths”, gospel truth and the Eightfold
Path ( The path that lead people to the extinguish of sufferings.)